Monday, May 10, 2010

What you gon' do with all that junk?

The editing of the novel continues. I wrote a long while ago of the novella-length document containing all my random notes, which needed to be raided before each chapter. Now the first draft is done, I went back to see if there were any plot points, dialog snippets, or observations that I'd missed.

No. Apart from a list of potential chapter titles, all puns on the word "sin" (the village where the murder takes place is called "Synne"), everything left -- now shrunk to ten pages -- is largely superfluous, including a set of insulting anagrams of the character name "Finsbury the Ferret" that I decided not to use. But there could be some ideas there for other novels.

"Fresh butt refinery" was my favorite.*

*Also "shifty burnt reefer," "bent fruity freshener," and the appropriate "feisty fur brethren."

No comments:

Post a Comment