Friday, October 29, 2010

I need a minder.

A few days ago, I put my kettle on the stove for some tea, got distracted by something, and forgot all about it. I didn't hear the whistle through the closed door, but an hour or so later, I distinctly heard the kitchen smoke detector. The kettle had boiled dry, and although still intact, it had taken on a smoky odor on the inside.

Not wanting all my tea to taste like lapsang souchong (I'm decidedly either green or Orange Pekoe), I survived for a day or two by sticking my mug in the microwave.

But I broke down and spent the $60 for a cordless electric kettle, on the grounds that it has an automatic cut-off when it reaches boiling point. Safe, right? Foolproof.

Not if you come down for breakfast, fill your new electric kettle, and then absent-mindedly put it on the gas burner. This time my nostrils detected the stink of scorched black plastic just before the smoke detector started shrieking.

Tea addiction and ADD -- not a good combination.

3 comments:

  1. I am a collector of well priced artifacts. But I was scared that I would be sued multiply by govt. but you site has given me ways to save my assets. Your information on anonymous banking is a full package of help anyone needs. I appreciate that. Thanks. asset protection

    ReplyDelete
  2. *wince* I, too, suffer from tea addiction. Though not ADD. My husband, however... I feel for you and your poor tea kettle.

    ReplyDelete