Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Daily . . . Compliment, for once. I think.

Chatting with a friend (and blog follower) after attending a meeting at Rye's City Hall -- the only person I know in Rye who also knew my first wife, gosh, twenty years ago. She expresses mild surprise that some of the women in my life have concluded that I'm completely superfluous to their requirements. (As the publishers' rejection letters put it, I did not meet their needs at this time.)

"I mean," she says, "you're not exactly an ax-murderer."

And there we have it. My complete epitaph, combining this passing compliment with an older comment about my recorded narration of a young adult novel, which I mentioned in a much earlier blog:

HERE LIES ALAN BEECHEY.
JUST BRITISH ENOUGH 
AND NOT AN AX-MURDERER.

1 comment:

  1. That's a difficult left-handed compliment to top. Wow.

    ReplyDelete