Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A follow up, dear reader.

I checked the Levi's website. There's no jeans category called "guys." It was probably a misprint for "gays."

Oh, while I'm expressing my irritation with stores, remember how Staples used to have that slogan: "Yeah, we got that"? And then they changed it. You discover why they changed it when your printer runs out of toner unexpectedly.

Which reminds me of a time a few years back when I'd gone to my local Staples for something, and I remembered while I was there that I needed some other office supply, only I couldn't recall what it was. I wandered around, staring blankly at all the signs, racking my brains, hoping that something in the store would jog my memory. But nothing.

It was a good ten minutes before it came to me. I'd run out of staples.

4 comments:

  1. Lists are my friends, though sometimes I take them and still forget to buy things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I tell you I've recently been diagnosed with Adult Attention Deficit Disorder?

    I don't mean self-diagnosed in that trendy way that tarts up every self-indulgent personality flaw as a lovable psychiatric condition. I mean professionally declared to have the brain chemistry issue.

    And the reason why it's taken so long to spot is simply that I'd evolved a whole lot of compensatory coping mechanisms. Including, of course, making lists. Or alternatively, training my memory or using visual cues in the supermarket so I don't even need the list.

    So ADD has only very rarely surfaced as a problem -- typically when I've had to do something that holds no interest for me whatsoever. And that was only my entire university career and every job I've ever held.

    By the way, it's a complete fallacy that adults with ADD can't concentrate on anything. In fact, the reverse is true -- part of the condition includes a symptom called hyperfocus, a complete absorption in tasks that are interesting and stimulating, to the point of losing all sense of time. That's how I write books. And music. And blogs. And research family trees, etc. (And it was another reason why I didn't think I had the condition.)

    Now, what I need is a job that stimulates the hyperfocus AND pays money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only to add that the preceding should probably have been a private email to Kathi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of us writer types have *issues*.... otherwise we'd be doing something sane, like road construction, or brain surgery.

    ReplyDelete