Saturday, June 11, 2011

. . . and one way you can't.

Following on from my last post, today Leila and I were on a patch of greenery a good twenty feet from the road when a car stops at the traffic lights and a man tries to ask me for directions. This time I have to demur, pointing out by pantomime that the dog is actually squatting mid-defecation and won't take kindly to being dragged sideways at this critical juncture.

What is it with these people? Anyway, he had a pony-tail.

More to the point, why does anyone think I look as if I know where the hell I am?

7 comments:

  1. As I was getting in my car a young man approached and asked for directions. I pointed out where 1st Street was then he showed me the business card for his destination. It was for his parole officer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely true -- and these things keep happening to me.

    A woman once stopped me on a Manhattan street and asked me how she could get to Carnegie Hall.

    (In case you don't know, this is the opening of classic New York joke. The answer: "Practice!")

    Since I wasn't sure if this was a put-on, and since we were standing on the corner of Seventh and 57th Street at the time, I merely had to point across the road, speechlessly.

    (And somebody once asked me the way to 34th Street when we were already on 34th Street. But I think he was just testing to see if I was a tourist, because I'd been gawping at the Empire State Building.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shocked. Shocked. "A man tries to ask me for directions." OMAB (Oh My AB).

    He may have been an idiot, but he definitely asked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it doesn't seem likely, does it. It was probably a woman -- the pony-tail was the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say it was the accent, but I don't suppose you were speaking to the stranger in the car before he expected you to interrupt the dog. It must be the glasses. You just look trustworthy. heh...

    and I am not anonymous- Google won't let me sign in as myself. KT

    ReplyDelete
  6. What does Google know that we don't?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anyway, they're reading glasses. I don't wear them in the street.

    ReplyDelete