Monday, January 31, 2011

I could dance with you until the cows come home. On second thought, I'd rather dance with the cows till you come home.

Sunday's movie is the Marx Brothers' Duck Soup, made in 1933, the same year as the pioneering King Kong. Good to see three modern-day brothers laughing in hysterics at jokes made nearly eighty years ago. Since it comes in at just over an hour (the King Kong remake was over three hours), they feel a bit cheated, so while I make dinner, they all opt to watch it a second time. Just as funny, especially the classic mirror sequence.

See, being a transplanted Brit, I can't explain the infield fly rule*, and I don't even know for sure who's playing in the Superbowl next weekend.  But I can still make sure my kids get the benefits of a classical education. Even if it includes Zeppo.

Horse Feathers next. Trivia point: There was an earlier, silent movie called Duck Soup. It starred Laurel and Hardy.

*I can explain the offside rule in soccer.

No comments:

Post a Comment